Miami Star Ashley Nicole Roberts Sets the Record Straight on Being a Pro Athlete's Girlfriend: ''We're Not Gold Diggers''

Ashley Nicole Roberts
Ashley Nicole Roberts 

The model and U.S. Army captain, who has been in a relationship with Atlanta Falcons linebacker Philip Wheeler for seven years, will make her reality show debut in the series premiere of E!'s new spinoff WAGS Miami. But before it kicks
off Sunday night, she really wants viewers to know there's way more to her lifestyle than "glitz and glamour."
"We're not just at home, laid up, doing nothing," she exclusively tells E! News. "We actually are busy women. We're all going for our dreams. We're all taking care of our men, but at the same time, we are our own people. We have a lot to offer. We're not gold diggers. We are getting things done."
Ashley Nicole Roberts1
Ashley Nicole Roberts 

Ashley is especially excited for fans to see the "realness" behind the façade of being the wife or girlfriend of a professional athlete that she believes WAGS Miami captures perfectly.
"It shows the sisterhood between us girls," she tells us. "It shows the ups and downs of our friendship and it shows what true friendships go through and how we have to be there for each other while our guys are out working and out of town and doing what they have to do. I think that our cast is very upfront with our emotions and what's going on in our lives. We don't really hold anything back. We just went for it. Our emotions are real and what we're going through is real."
Ashley Nicole Roberts and phillip Weller
Ashley Nicole Roberts and phillip Weller 

One of Ashley's biggest personal challenges this season will be dealing with not being married yet.
"I'm a mom and I'm here taking care of our son and I'm holding down the house and I'm doing all the wifely duties, but I'm not a wife," she says. "My parents are still married, so that's the kind of life that they saw for me. They saw me being married, being a wife, being a mom and also fulfilling my own dreams. They just have been sitting there watching me be this wife that I'm not, so you'll be able to see those struggles."
Despite that hurdle, Ashley is incredibly appreciative of her man's encouragement during this new experience—even though he may have been a little too eager!
"Phil was really into [the show] from the beginning and he really took it and ran with it," she says. "He's a very quiet guy, minds his business, likes to be a fly on the wall, but he was out buying outfits and making sure his hair was freshly done. The producers were loving him! I was like, 'Wait a minute. This is supposed to be about me this time!' I was like, 'Who is this guy?' He was really into it and very supportive and I just love him for that."
Ashley also reveals she was somewhat hesitant at first to expose her relationship on reality television because of all the horror stories, but she also determined not to let that worry hold her back.
Ashley Nicole Roberts and phillip weller
Ashley Nicole Roberts and phillip weller

"I just feel like we have a strong relationship and if something were to go wrong in our relationship it would go wrong regardless of whether we're on TV or not," she says. "I didn't want to pass up an opportunity like this just because of a fear of something going wrong."
The fact the cast is so honest with their lives and relationships will ultimately open the door for lots of potentially wild and hilarious moments as well as drama and conflict. To her credit, Ashley isn't afraid to admit that some people might be a little surprised after watching her behavior on the show.
"Maybe not my parents so much because they know how crazy I am," she says. "But I was definitely like, 'Oh my god! My pastor and his wife are going to see this!' But I've been giving them the heads up, like this is entertainment. Just be entertained."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog